Bents Mill was originally constructed in 1799 for the purposes of cotton spinning. By 1833 it employed 61 people, 42 of which were under the age of 14. The Mill stood empty and derelict for 15 years prior to its purchase in 1997 by Janet and John Emanuel. The Emanuel’s had in 1977, previously bought and restored nearby Hewenden Mill.
Bents Mill's roof had to be stripped and replaced, the chimney rebuilt, ‘extensive groundworks undertaken, the road leading into the mill improved and a vast rockery constructed to keep the steep slope stable. A road was forged through the wood connecting Hewenden with Bents and the mill ponds were reinstated on both sides of the mill’(Susan Emanuel 2012).
The mill renovation was completed in 2004 and now offers holiday accommodation.