Victoria Mill was originally a steam powered woollen mill built in Batley in the 1860’s. In 1900 the site had evolved with production divided between the main mill and associated sheds for weaving, finishing and dyeing. By 1915 the site housed a large rag warehouse and grinding shed turning ‘shoddy’ into new, lower grade textiles.
Redbrick Mill was launched in 2000 by Chris Bullus, mill owner and Stephen Battye, a local textile entrepreneur, with the ambition to create a major high-end retail destination. Victoria Mill was restored in a sympathetic and imaginative manner including the installation of escalators and passenger lifts linking the four floors.
According to Battye, founder of Skopos:- "We took a building worth practically nothing and turned it into a magnet for all kinds of firms who would otherwise not be in this part of West Yorkshire".
Redbrick Mills is now one of the north’s premier shopping destinations, containing a number of independent interiors brands together with a restaurant and other visitor facilities.