Lomeshaye Bridge Mill, in Nelson, was originally a two-storey steam powered cotton spinning mill dating back to 1841. In 1899, two further storeys and the adjoining weaving sheds were added.
The mill pre-dates the construction of the adjoining Whitefield model village, now a conservation area, with St. Mary’s Church as its focal point.
The mill was purchased by the Heritage Trust for the North West in 1998. The Prince of Wales’ Regeneration Trust adopted the Mill as an exemplar project and led efforts to work with the local community to find sustainable new uses for the building. Work started in 2014 to convert the Mill to workspace, archive storage and a workshop for the Trust’s Conservation Services.